Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What our family matriarch is thankful for

Aunt Anna Sprick Smith, at 88 our extended family's matriarch (that's her above in her Navy uniform during World War II), wrote this for the blog just for Thanksgiving Day 2008: I was born in 1920, when women first got the right to vote. I'm thankful that I could vote for a gentleman who is black for president of the United States, and also that it would have been possible for a woman to be elected president. Since 2006, I've been especially thankful for my wonderful family and friends, who have helped me deal with a mild stroke. A niece [Patty] calls daily to check on what I may need. A brother [Elmer] phones often and brings fish and the best cookies, baked by his dear wife [Mavis]. A nephew [Sam] writes newsy letters and sends picture of his three sons [Tyler, Alex and Zachary] in their sports uniforms. A sister [Florence] calls weekly from California. A niece [Pam] keeps me informed with a blog of family news and visits often with a tasty meal. A caregiver friend [Jan] visits often with soup and grandchildren and also orders my medications. My sister [Kate] helps me with banking and organizing. Even the mailman hands me the mail with a smile. The sunshine in my living room lights up the world, and the evening sunsets are beautiful. My apartment building hallway gives me a place to walk with my walker without dogs, mud, snow, bugs or snakes. Friends in Apt. 202 bring the church news and the large-print sermons to me every Sunday. Other friends take me to a special communion service each month. Meals on Wheels are brought five days a week by friends who are so welcome. My [very large, Pam notes] armoire photo of our new president with my nephew [Dave] is a bright spot, also. My table often has a bouquet or plant sent by a lady who was a little red-headed first-grader in Mrs. Smith's class in 1956. I am thankful that age 88, I can read, write, enjoy my food sleep well, walk with a walker, have no pain, no headaches, and best of all, a loving family and friends. Love, Aunt Anna We're thankful for Anna! Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

1 comment:

Bri said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Pam, and all the extended family! I hope it's okay to share wonderful Aunt Anna's thoughts with my sister, who worked tirelessly on the Obama campaign. She will be very moved.

Love, Brina