Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Every day above ground is a gift, cousins

The scrapblog editor was perusing the Rev. Dr. Esq. Sister Cousin Chats' church website this morning and found this pastoral note posted there. It's sweet and wise, so of course we're posting it: Dear Friends, My mom died a year ago last spring, and, of course, I still miss her. One of the things I miss the most is her almost daily email message, which she entitled "My Day, By Eleanor." She patterned it after Eleanor Roosevelt's messages years ago, and in it, she'd fill my sister and brother and I in on what was going on each day in her life, and even in her 70s and 80s, she remained very active. After she died, my sister sent me a number of her books. One of them was a journal of sayings she liked. An entry to which I was especially drawn, interestingly enough, was a list of quotations from Eleanor Roosevelt. Some of them were: Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart. To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart. Anger is only one letter short of danger. If someone betrays you once, it is his fault; if he betrays you twice, it is your fault. Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses much more. He who loses faith loses all. Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art. Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is mystery. Today is a gift. I like all of these quotations, but it is the last one on which I want to focus. Today is a gift, my friends, as each day is. As we enjoy the summer days, let us remember this, and appreciate each moment. Grace and peace, Cathy

No comments: