Friday, February 16, 2007

Even dignified cousins have won the Burnt Wienie!

We couldn't be happier to have gotten this primo photo. Cousin Sandy sent it to us after we said below that she's too dignified to ever have won the coveted Burnt Wienie Award. We were wrong, with a bong. Sandy provided this primo info: "This picture came to me via my mom [Kate], who got it from your mom [Alverna], I presume, since her writing was on the back: 'Sandra T. gets Burnt Wienie Award at Hart's retirement party, Aug. 1, 1981.' Looks like Seth was in on the festivities, too! [The scrapblog editor notes that Uncle Bill also was in his usual place, with his usual pipe, in the background, probably plotting how he would win it later, by setting the Frontenac field afire.] Here's the story. I was enjoying a summer concert sitting on the grassy bank of the Mississippi River (in the St. Cloud area; we had just moved back from Hawaii that spring). The next day, the itch on the back of my legs told me I had made a terrible mistake by picking out a bed of poison ivy to sit in. I was wearing shorts and my whole backside burned and itched for about a week. Sitting or sleeping was out of the question. I have gotten tangled up in poison ivy since then, but never as bad as that experience! The coveted plastic hot dog graced my mantle that year!" Sandy's frankness reveals the therapeutic value of the B.W.A. -- as a way to get that pain, that embarrassment, that boo-boo trauma, exorcised. Thank you, cousin Sandy, for sharing this very Sprickish moment. The scrapblog editor notes once again that she has never won the B.W.A., which seems, well, it's just wrong.

No comments: