Thursday, January 3, 2013

November 2012 trip to Paris: La cuisine

My oh my, the food and drink of Paris! We not-too-fancy Minnesotans were smitten!

We'd heard that the coffee of Paris isn't that good, but we managed to stumble across the good stuff here and there, often sitting outside at cafes, which even on chilly days are somewhat sheltered, to people-watch and so Noah could, sigh, enjoy his smokes.

Kir is a summer drink and it was late fall, but I was in Paris, and so I had some! Several times, in fact.

Oh my! A chocolate fountain! This one was in the window of a chocolatier on the Rue St-Louis en L'Ile, just around the corner from our Ile St-Louis apartment. Yep, Noah and I went in there a few times, and bought a chocolate or two, just to be polite.

A cheese shop around the corner from our apartment. I wrote down what I wanted before I went there (after careful menu study), lest I be overwhelmed by the infinite choices and hold up the line of French people who knew exactly that they wanted.

Say fromage! Another cheese shop, this one near Chris and Silke's place.

Chris and Silke at their neighborhood market.

Vegetables, and only the very best vegetables, brighten the street markets in every neighborhood. Gape all you want, but don't touch them! I learned that by trial and error. You point out what you want, and they bag it for you.

Whoa. Desserts. And not just any desserts.

Sweets to die for. We had one or two, here and there, oh yes we did, just so we didn't have to die.

Didn't eat the fish, being a vegetarian, but it looks awfully fresh.

More fresh seafood.

Mon dieu! Here's one place we did not go in --a horse meat market. Horse meat is not taboo in France like it is in the States. But it's still taboo by us.

No comments: