Thursday, January 3, 2013

November 2012 trip to Paris: Cool things

Oh, the cool things we saw in Paris! Here are a random few:

Little handmade masks and pins in an Italian mask store on the Rue St-Louis en L'Ile, just around the block from our apartment on Ile St-Louis. I ended up buying the cat one for my friend Michiela (well, for her cats); couldn't resist!

Marionettes in a store on that same street. I couldn't think of anyone who needed a marionette, so didn't buy one.
 
What a cool chair! It was in another Ile St Louis storefront, on the Quai D'Anjou. I kept stopping to gape at it. I wanted to buy it, but I didn't have 6,000 euros, dang it.

Noah braked for any store that had ties and cufflinks. Here was one on the Rue de Rivoli.

Paris has thousands of huge, beautiful, mysterious doors that lead, I assume, to hidden interior courtyards. Almost every one has an ancient, artistic door knocker. Here was one.

Ile de la Cite, the ancient heart of Paris where the great Notre-Dame cathedral sits, is home to a daily flower market. On Sundays, the market also sells exotic birds. I wanted to buy those, too.


A little video from the Sunday bird market.

One day, Noah took a solo trip out to the Musée Marmottan Monet in western Paris, where he found his very favorite work of art, Monet's "Impression Sunrise." "My heart skipped a beat when I came around the corner and saw it," he said.

Noah also spent a lot of time enjoying Paris' night life long after I was fast asleep. He had a wonderful time, and met good people from all over the world. Here he is with one, Frenchman Julien.

No comments: